Skip to main content

Admissions FAQ

Find what you need in our searchable FAQ.

I attend another college. I only want to take a summer class at ECC. What do I need to do?

3175 views   |   2 Vote this question as useful.   1 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Jan 19, 2024    advising transfer transcript application

For a student that attends another college or university to take classes at ECC over the summer, they need to:

  1. Meet with the advisor at your home college to determine the proper ECC course that will transfer back to your home school.
  2. Apply for admission. 
  3. Check the course to determine what prerequisites are required for the course you plan to enroll in. Note: Course prerequisites must be satisfied before registration.
  4. Send an official or unofficial transcript from high school, current or previous college/university to satisfy any prerequisites. Official transcripts can be sent electronically by email to See more information on the Transcript Evaluation web page
  5. If you are currently enrolled at another college for a prerequisite class for the ECC course you want to take, include a copy of a current class schedule. A grade report or updated transcript confirming successful completion must be submitted to at least two (2) weeks before the beginning of the summer term to remain enrolled in the course.
  6. Complete the Prerequisite Approval form. Click on the link in item #5. Return information is on the form. Fill out the form and save the file to your computer in PDF format. All fields must be completed for the request to be processed. Attach the completed form and your unofficial transcripts to an email and send them to If faxing, send the approval form and your documentation to 847-931-4899. 
  7. A Technical Enrollment Facilitator will contact you when the prerequisite waiver has been processed.
  8. Register for classes and make payment arrangements by the due date. Visit Payment Options for details. 

Things you need to know

  • Unofficial transcripts must contain the school's name, the student's name, course numbers, and final grade received in courses. PDF format is preferred. Transcripts copied into a Word document will not be accepted.
  • A schedule is required if you are enrolled in your institution's prerequisite. You must also follow up with a final grade as soon as you receive it. Final grades must be received at least one week before the start of the semester to avoid being dropped from the course. If your grades do not arrive one week before the semester starts, please email
  • If the request is submitted via email, we will reply directly to the email address we received from the form. Be sure you have access to the email provided.
  • ECC will process requests in the order they are received.
  • You must complete all fields on the form before the request is processed.
Read more

How do I apply to ECC?

2472 views   |   0 Vote this question as useful.   3 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Jan 19, 2024    application transcript advising

You can apply to ECC by following four simple steps:

  1. Fill out and submit an online application. Once your application has been entered within 24 hours, you will receive emails from the admissions office that contain your ID number.
  2. Submit your high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores to the Admissions Office. If you have attended another college or university, please submit your official transcripts and a request to evaluate them if you plan to transfer the credits to ECC. 
  3. Attend the online New Student Orientation and meet with an academic advisor to plan your classes.
  4. Register for classes and make payment arrangements by the due date for the semester. Visit Payment Options for details.

Not ready to apply? 
Please register to attend an upcoming in-person or virtual admission presentation to learn about our academic programs and services and talk with our recruitment coordinators.

International education? 
If you have a degree or certificate from another country, review how to obtain an evaluation of these credentials. Did you attend high school or college outside the US? Learn more about an international transcript evaluation

Read more

What is my next step after applying to ECC?

Once you submit your application to ECC, processing it will take us 24-48 hours. After processing your application, you will receive a welcoming email with your student ID number. You need this number to view your username and set up your AccessECC student portal account and email. You will be asked to submit your transcripts and ACT/SAT scores for an evaluation. Based on the outcome of this evaluation, you might be asked to take placement tests. Once you finish your placement tests, you will go through an Online Orientation. You will meet with an academic advisor to discuss your study plan and finally register for classes.

Learn how to submit your transcripts after applying to ECC.

Submit your high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores to the Admissions Office. You do not have to have a high school diploma to apply, regardless of age. We also accept electronic transcripts through eScripsafe. Please allow two weeks for processing. Notification that your evaluation results are available will be sent to your email address. Please remember that it is the student’s responsibility to request official transcripts for all colleges, universities, or the military and contact records at or 847-214-7386 to confirm all transcripts have been received before requesting the evaluation.

Submit Transcripts 

Choose a program you intend to pursue to find out how to submit your transcripts.

Read more

How can I submit my transcripts, ACT/SAT scores?

2066 views   |   0 Vote this question as useful.   1 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Jun 20, 2023    transfer transcript application

You can submit your transcripts and ACT/SAT scores electronically or in person.

  • To submit your transcripts in person, bring them to the Admissions office in Building B, room B110, between 8 am and 7 pm from Monday through Friday. We are closed on Fridays in the summer. If you submit a printed copy of your official transcript, ensure it is in a sealed envelope addressed to ECC. Otherwise, all other transcripts will be accepted as unofficial.
  • If you would like to submit your transcripts and ACT/SAT scores electronically, you can do that by saving them as .pdf files and emailing them to
  • Your high school can electronically submit your official transcripts to ECC on your behalf.
  • Transferring to ECC from another college? We’re committed to giving you credit for as much of your prior coursework as possible. Please review the Transfer Credit Evaluation information on our website before using the Transcript Evaluation Request Form
Read more

What placement tests do I need to take and how can I take them?

All new degree-seeking students must demonstrate initial placement levels in English and Math upon entry to the College to register for their first semester. Any student wishing to register for English and/or Math courses must demonstrate specific placement levels to satisfy a particular course prerequisite. Review the testing scores summary to determine if you need to take placement testing. All scores will be posted on the accessECC portal. Need help to log in to see placement test results? Read our instructions

The testing center offers the following placement tests:

If you'd like to make an appointment for a placement test, please use our online form to schedule using RegisterBlast.

More on other types of tests for students interested in health care programs or career certifications can be found on the Testing Services website. Questions? Call 847-214-7150

Read more

I finished my New Student Online Orientation but when I try to register for classes it says that I didn't. Why is that?

The New Student Orientation (NSO) at ECC consists of 3 parts:

  1. Watching an online orientation, at the end of which, you will take a quiz and will be prompted to schedule a meeting with an academic advisor.
  2. Scheduling a meeting with an academic advisor.
  3. Meeting with an advisor, either in person or over Zoom®.

If you have not finished all of the steps mentioned earlier, your NSO in the system will be marked as "Incomplete."

If you are certain that you went through the entire orientation and finished every step, but you still cannot register, contact our AccessECC help desk at 847-214-7570 or via email at

Read more

What is the deadline for applying for admission?

1247 views   |   0 Vote this question as useful.   1 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Jan 19, 2024    application registration

You can apply to ECC anytime, but it's best to do it at least a semester before you plan to start classes. Applying early gives you more options for the classes you want. You can still get in until the first week of classes, but by then, there might not be as many classes available.​

See the semester start dates on our website.

However, several health professions programs have application deadlines and specific start dates. 

See the application deadlines for health professions.

Read more

How do I complete New Student Orientation?

1246 views   |   1 Vote this question as useful.   1 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Apr 25, 2023    application online orientation portal

Once you have submitted any testing requirements for your program of study, you will be eligible to complete our online new student orientation. You will be sent a link to the email you provided when you applied. If you no longer have the email, log in to your AccessECC Student portal, select a Student tab, and click on New Student Online Orientation in the ECC Apps section. Click the "Start Your Online Orientation" button on the new page. If you receive an error message, contact admissions at or 847-214-7390.

Read more

I’m graduating from high school. How do I register for classes?

1243 views   |   1 Vote this question as useful.   2 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Apr 04, 2023    transfer transcript high school application

New ECC students are required to attend a New Student Orientation session. To be signed up for an orientation date, the prospective student needs to:

  1. Complete an application for admission
  2. Satisfy placement requirements in the following ways:
    1. Submit high school transcripts. If you have attended another college or university, please submit your official transcripts and a request to evaluate them if you plan to transfer the credits to ECC. Visit Transfer Credit Evaluation for details. 
    2. Submit SAT, ACT, CLEP, and AP scores, if applicable.
    3. Complete placement testing.
  3. Attend an online New Student Orientation to learn about the student portal, meet with an academic advisor, and plan your classes.
  4. Register for classes and set up a payment plan. Visit Payment Options for details.
Read more

My child wants to take a class at ECC during their high school academic year. What do I need to do?

  1. Discuss your child’s interest in attending ECC with their high school counselor prior to beginning the application process as their approval is required. Secondary and home-schooled students will be limited to registering for a maximum of six (6) credit hours per semester (fall and spring) and three (3) credit hours in the summer semester.
  2. Students interested in enrolling must complete the following steps:
    • ​Read the Dual Enrollment information on our website for complete details.
      • Contact the Admissions Specialist by calling 847-214-7385 to discuss the process for Secondary and Home-School Student Admission.
      • Complete and submit the following documentation prior to the meeting:
        • Permission for Secondary or Home School Admission Form.
        • Apply for Admission to Elgin Community College
        • Placement testing – To be eligible for Secondary/Home School Student Admission, students must demonstrate ability to be successful in college courses through ACT or PSAT or SAT scores or the college’s placement tests. Placements tests are offered in writing, reading and mathematics. Students will only take the mathematics placement test if they plan to enroll in courses with a math prerequisite. Students whose placement test results indicate remedial course placement (those courses numbered under 100) will not be allowed to enroll in credit classes.
        • Students may be waived from placement testing if they have met the following minimum requirements. To receive a waiver, students must submit their ACT/PSAT/SAT score report information to the ECC Admissions Office on campus in Building B, Room B110.
          1. Reading: ACT Reading score of 19 or PSAT/SAT Verbal 480
          2. Writing: ACT English score of 19 or PSAT/SAT English 480
          3. Math: ACT Math score of 22 or PSAT/SAT Math 530
        • Submit a transcript of high school course work or list of curricular completions for home schooled students.
        • Meet with an Admissions Coordinator. The student and at least one parent/guardian must attend this meeting. Completed documentation outlined above must be submitted to the Admissions Office prior to the meeting for review. To arrange an appointment, call an Admissions Specialist at 847-214-7385.
        • Registration – The student may enroll in a maximum of 6 credits per fall and spring semester, and 3 credits in the summer while in high school. The student will register for courses once all criteria is met and if space is available in the course(s).  No late registrations are allowed.
        • Registration may take place during the open registration period for the semester requested once all the above requirements have been met by the student and as long as space is available.
        • Once the student has enrolled, that student is responsible for making payments by the published payment deadline. Visit Payment Options for details and due dates.
        • Dual Enrollment students will meet with their academic advisor each semester in order to continue enrollment until they graduate from high school.
Read more

How do I search for open classes at Elgin Community College?

1161 views   |   1 Vote this question as useful.   1 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Jan 19, 2024    classes application

ECC offers various classes to meet your learning and scheduling requirements. All of these courses have online components. Some also include labs, studios, and clinical requirements offered in blended face-to-face and online formats (Hybrid). Schedule programs with a clinical component into available slots around your schedule at the assigned clinical site(s). Search for online classes using our Student Portal (no log-in required). 

Please use our most current catalog to view a description of all the courses offered, including the estimated cost per course.

Read more

I'm a returning/transfer student. Do I still need to take a New Student Orientation online?

The main goal of the New Student Orientation (NSO) is to introduce students to the campus and the variety of services that ECC has to offer. As ECC continually improves its services and students' experience, we kindly ask our returning and transfer students who haven't taken New Student Orientation (NSO) in the past two years to do it again. The online New Student Orientation is designed to be completed at your convenience. 

Read more

What programs does ECC offer?

Visit our website to learn more about the wide range of programs ECC offers.

Additionally, you can check out our recorded information sessions.

Contact one of our Recruitment Coordinators for an appointment for more information or sign up to attend a virtual or in-person presentation.

Luis Alarcon
Shirley Bell
Jerrmiah Wright
Read more

How do I apply as a new international student at ECC?

998 views   |   1 Vote this question as useful.   0 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Jan 05, 2024    advising transfer application

Welcome to the exciting journey of becoming an international student at Elgin Community College! To kick off your application, create a new profile using your personal email address. We'll promptly send you the login details. After logging in, navigate to the program list and choose "F-1 International Student Admissions." From there, select "International Student Application for Admission." We look forward to receiving your application and assisting you every step of the way!

Complete the online application on our International Students Website. See our International partners around the world for help in your home country to apply for admission to ECC.

For assistance or to schedule a virtual appointment, please email us.

Prospective Students

Current Students

F-1 Fact Sheets by Language

Read more

Can I be scheduled for orientation now and take the placement tests later?

No, in order to be signed up for an orientation session you need to complete all the prior steps for admission. 

  1. Apply using our free online application
  2. Submit official 8th-semester high school transcripts to the ECC Admissions Office for review at
  3. Submit your ACT or SAT scores to the Admissions Office at
  4. Send your college transcripts for evaluation if you've attended another college
  5. Sign-up for Placement Testing - using Register Blast select "Placement Test" as the exam type. 
  6. Complete the Online New Student Orientation
  7. Apply for FAFSA Financial Aid
  8. Submit the scholarship application and we can see what works for your program of study
Read more

How and where do I complete an ECC application?

949 views   |   1 Vote this question as useful.   1 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Jan 05, 2024    application registration advising

Your bright future starts here at Elgin Community College! Whether you're returning to college, just graduated high school, or looking to add certifications to your resume, ECC is the place for you. With small class sizes, supportive faculty and staff, and affordable tuition, we're dedicated to making your educational journey a success. Our welcoming campus community provides a mix of online and in-person activities, along with top-notch study programs, advising, tutoring, and career development resources.

Applying to ECC is a breeze, with no deadlines or application fees. Once you apply, we'll swiftly process your application and email you your student ID along with the next steps to complete the enrollment process. We're here to guide you every step of the way. Your future is important, and ECC is ready to help you shine!

Apply today


Read more

Why haven't I received a link to complete New Student Online Orientation, after I completed my application?

It usually takes 24 hours after you completed all the necessary requirements to receive a link to the New Student Online Orientation. If after 24 hours you still haven't received it, please contact the Admissions Office at 847-214-7385 or
Read more

Where do I find the application for ECC?

850 views   |   0 Vote this question as useful.   0 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Aug 22, 2022    application registration

Applying is easy, and there’s no deadline or fee. We’re here to help every step of the way. 

Visit our Apply page for details.

Some of our programs have extra admission requirements, find out about these requirements below.

While we process the application, you can learn about our placement testing options online at

Read more

Do I have to complete an ECC application for admission to register for a Continuing Education class?

No, continuing education students do not have to complete an application for admission or acquire transcripts. Our students submit all required information during the continuing education registration process. You can see the class schedules on the Continuing Education website.
Read more

What topics will the New Student Orientation cover?

During the online orientation, students are introduced to the following topics:

  • Academic Pathways, placement tests, and expectations to be a successful student.
  • Information about Financial Aid and Scholarships.
  • Essential online tools.
  • Campus resources.
  • Scheduling an academic advising appointment 
Read more


Admissions & Recruitment

Building B, Room B110
Fax: 847-608-5458